How to Properly Clean Windows in Eau Claire, Wisconsin
A window gives you a wonderful view to the outdoors, brings light in and helps protect the inside of your home from harsh weather. That means your windows see a lot of action. From dirt, water and insects on the outside to little hands or pets on the inside, your windows’ glass gets dirty pretty quick. Luckily, cleaning your windows is fairly simple.
You can clean your original replacement windows in just five easy steps. Many Pella windows have easy-clean features that make it easier for you to clean the exterior glass from inside your home. Here’s our window cleaning process.
- Brush off your window sills. You’ll want to get rid of the dirt, dust and anything else that is stuck on the window sills and ledges to prevent dirt and mud from getting on the glass later on.
- Now’s a good time to clean the screens, too. Just run your vacuum’s dusting brush attachment over the side facing in.
- Use a premixed vinegar-based cleaning solution (make your own with one part white vinegar to 10 parts water), and apply to a soft, clean, lint-free cloth or paper towel. You may instead use an ammonia-free glass cleaner such as Pella's glass cleaner, Windex® or Sparkle®. Spray the cleaner generously, but avoid getting any cleaning solutions on the wood, fiberglass or vinyl frames, as they may discolor the finish.
- Rub from several different directions and let air dry.
- Rinse with clean water if streaks remain after cleaning.
For the best-looking view, we’d also recommend cleaning your windows on a cloudy day. The sun can dry the solution too quickly, leaving streaks on your window glass. Your Pella professionals in Eau Claire prefer using microfiber cloths to clean window glass since it’s lint-free and won’t leave tiny particles behind.
Your windows could look so good, you might forget the glass is even there. Now that’s what we call a great view.
Please note: You should not use ammonia- or alcohol-based glass cleaners. They’ll leave streaks or generate a film that attracts moisture and dust. See your owner’s manual to find our more about cleaning other parts of your wood windows, vinyl windows or fiberglass windows, or call your Pella Windows Showroom in Eau Claire.