There is a moment every Eau Claire winter when you can’t locate the cause of the draft in your home. It could possibly be coming from a window that isn’t closed or sealed well. Even the smallest of cracks can make homes uncomfortable and cold, hypothetically resulting in:
- Cold air seeping into your home
- Increased heating and cooling costs
As per the Environmental Protection Agency’s Energy Star program, you can save 10 percent on your total energy bill, or 20 percent of your heating and cooling costs, with properly sealed windows. To help cut back and reduce drafty air from passing through your home, it’s important to be able to identify where these window drafts might be coming from and why. Here are some helpful tips to pinpoint your Eau Claire home’s drafts and check for issues:
- Look for gaps and fractures in strange areas of air leakage, such as knee walls, outdoor faucets, attic access points or just the typical windows with workable abilities and use a simple visual inspection.
- Inspect to ensure that windows and doors are sealed and latched.
- Make sure that the sealant or gasket around the workable portion of the window or door is correctly sealing.
- Inspect the installation by verifying if the draft is passing through the window or around the window, between the window and the harsh opening. A window will only function as well as it is set up.
- Call a professional from Pella Windows and Doors in Eau Claire to have them run a home energy audit.
Once you’ve identified where the draft or air leakage is originating from, the next step is to concentrate on the cause of the draft or air leakage. As always, give the specialists in Eau Claire a call at 715-836-9301 with any extra questions or prospective replacement needs.