Are Your Windows and Doors Ready for the Cold in Eau Claire, Wisconsin?
Regardless if you are ready, the colder weather is arriving in Eau Claire and you can still find time to make sure the windows and door in your home are prepped for winter. Regularly examining your windows and doors helps ensure that your home remains and helps save on your energy bills.
What can you do to prepare your windows and doors for winter?
- Check to see if your windowsills and all the moving parts are clean – Dirt and debris left in windowsills or the moving parts on doors and windows can impact the tightness and seal when closed.
- Inspect your weather stripping – Weather stripping helps to reduce air from entering the home when windows and doors are shut. It can become loose or torn over time, so take a look and reattach any loose portions or replace sections that are torn.
- Reapply caulk or sealant around windows and doors – Rain, water and sunlight can damage exterior sealants and caulk. Remove damaged material and apply new sealant.
- Repair or replace damaged exterior surfaces – Take a look at your exterior surface for signs of moisture leaking, which may include cracked or deteriorated wood. Replacing the damaged wood helps to keep cold air and moisture from coming back into your home.
- Install storm doors – Storm doors offers an additional layer of protection from air and moisture and improves energy performance.
- Install snap-in blinds or shades – Not only does this improve your privacy, but it also helps to insulate the home.
- Upgrade to energy-efficient windows and doors – If you still have single-pane glass, clear glass, or your windows and doors are older, you may be paying more than you should to heat your home. Our experts can share information about newer, energy-efficient options.
If you would like to learn more about preparing your home for winter, contact your local Showroom in Eau Claire at 715-836-9301.